If you’re looking into how much clear braces cost, then you’ve probably decided to bite the bullet (pun intended) and do something about your crooked smile. Good on you! Did you know that more than half of the Australian population feel self-conscious about their teeth? Well, it’s true. According to a recent survey carried out by Orthodontics Australia, 55% of Aussies are unhappy with their smile and 62% would actually like to get their teeth fixed using orthodontic solutions.
More adults than ever before are undergoing orthodontic treatment mostly because they realise the importance of a healthy attractive smile and also because modern dental technologies and techniques give them more treatment options. Whereas, in years gone by, the only way to straighten your teeth would have been with traditional ‘train track’ style metal braces – now, we have a variety of teeth straightening options.
A clear solution to teeth straightening
Clear braces are a great choice for adults and teens looking to straighten their smiles discreetly. Consisting of a series of removable aligners, they’re worn over the teeth and, similar to a traditional brace, gradually nudge the teeth into their correct position. Because they’re made from transparent plastic, they’re barely visible, which is why people refer to them as ‘invisible braces’.
When undergoing orthodontic treatment with removable aligners, they’ll need to be worn for a minimum of 22 hours a day before being changed for the next aligner in the sequence at around the 2-week point. Once you’ve finished wearing the last of your aligner trays, you should have the beautiful straight smile you’ve always longed for.
Because of their ease of use, convenience and being discreet, patients who may never have considered braces, are now giving them a shot. That said, the choice between clear aligners vs traditional braces often boils down to cost.
So how much do systems like Invisalign cost and more importantly, are they worth the investment? Let’s take a closer look…
Cost of invisible braces
The typical price of removable aligners is a little higher than most traditional braces, but your dentist should be able to give you a ballpark figure. The factors which come into play when determining a clear braces cost are:
- The extent of teeth straightening required
- How many aligners you’ll need, and
- The length of treatment.
This is why a quick Google search will tell you that on average, clear aligner treatment such as Invisalign will cost between $3500 to $7000, although some clinics advertise the price as even higher. This may well be $2000 to $2500 more expensive than conventional braces. As you can see, Invisalign treatment certainly doesn’t come cheap, but are there other, cheaper clear aligner alternatives on the market?
In a word yes!
While they don’t have the longevity and financial backing that Invisalign has, companies such as ClearPath are now paving the way and providing stiff competition. The good news is that they work in the same way as Invisalign, except with a more affordable price tag. What’s not to like!
Will I be covered for clear braces cost treatment on my insurance?
You may be able to make a claim for your aligner treatment if you have private insurance. The good news is that it’s regarded as an orthodontic treatment and as such should come off your orthodontic limit. With this in mind, it’s well worth asking your provider before going ahead with treatment.
Aside from the financial cost of invisible braces, let’s take a look at the benefits and what they’re worth in relation to your oral health and general well-being.
Benefits of removable aligners
There are many benefits of wearing removal aligners, including:
- Discretion – One of the obvious benefits of removable aligner systems such as Invisalign and ClearPath is that they’re incredibly discreet and perfect for self-conscious adults and teens. Since there are no brackets and wires, they blend into your smile seamlessly. What’s more, most people won’t notice that you’re wearing them!
- Easily removed– Unlike conventional braces, removable aligners can be taken in and out easily. In fact, they’re designed to be removed every time you eat, drink, and brush your teeth. You can even remove them for a special event, provided you wear them for the recommended number of hours per day.
- Maintains oral health – Another major benefit of removable aligners is they help to keep your oral health on track. Bracket and wire braces trap food particles and are difficult to clean, whereas you can brush and floss with ease with removable aligners. Even better, no foods are off limits, so you can eat everything you enjoyed before you opted for braces.
- Comfortable – Clear removable aligners are more comfortable to wear because there are no wires to rub the insides of your cheeks and lips. While each new aligner tray will feel tight, this wears off after a few days and shows that the system is gently moving your teeth as it should.
- Precision – With other types of braces, your dentist will be able to give you an estimate of how long your treatment is likely to last. However, with removable aligners, we can give you a more accurate estimate. This is because systems like ClearPath use the latest in computer-aided design and manufacturing. We can even give you a sneak preview of how your new smile will look BEFORE we start treatment. How cool is that!
Are you ready to start your clear braces journey?
Give Scott Street Dental a call today on (02) 9158 6393 to book your free ClearPath consultation. Our experienced dentists can assess your smile, discuss your best options, and even discuss payment plans.