While it’s true that porcelain veneers cost more than composite veneers, they’re worth the extra money because they’re longer lasting, and more real teeth because they mimic the natural properties of tooth enamel. Veneer prices vary from one dental practice to another depending on the reputation and skill of the dentist, as well as the technical and lab support. While it’s true to say you can pay too little for dental treatments, when it comes to porcelain veneers, you can rarely pay too much.
What exactly are porcelain veneers?
Porcelain veneers are one of the most sought-after cosmetic dental treatments for people looking for a quick way to make their smile look more beautiful. Consisting of thin, uniquely crafted shells of porcelain that fit over the front surface of the teeth, they effectively conceal any dental flaws that you may have.
The simplicity of the procedure means that it requires very little, or sometimes no anaesthetic at all to perform.
Many people ask whether porcelain veneers are durable, and the answer to this is yes! Once installed, veneers will handle pretty much most of the forces involved when eating a normal diet. In other words, veneers give you a dazzling smile that is completely functional.
Why choose porcelain veneers?
Well aside from their relatively cheap cost, veneers can be used to cover a wide range of dental challenges. These include:
- Stained teeth – Veneers are a good alternative to teeth whitening treatments which aren’t always suitable for everyone; and where there are only a few stained teeth, your dentist can colour match them to their neighbours for a seamless finish.
- Worn or damaged teeth – People with cracked, chipped or worn-down teeth can also benefit from dental veneers.
- Crooked teeth – Teeth that have irregular shapes, are too small, or are crooked can also be disguised with the aid of dental veneers. The result is a perfectly even smile with teeth that are perfectly aligned with one another.
- Gapped teeth – Gaps between teeth can appear unsightly, but using veneers, a skilled cosmetic dentist can close the gaps to make your teeth appear naturally spaced.
What do porcelain veneers cost?
There is never a simple answer to this question because there are many variables and each patient has their own unique dental needs. Taking this into account, the price you pay for porcelain veneers depends on several factors.
- How many veneers you need – the more veneers, the higher the price will be
- Your location – If you’re based in an area with a prolific number of cosmetic dentists, then veneers are more likely to be more competitively priced
- Skill and experience – If your dentist hasn’t been practicing that long or is new to the community, then again veneers will be less costly
But, if you haven’t even begun visiting a dentist, then you probably do not have any idea of what ‘s involved in your particular case, so at best we can only give you a ballpark figure.
What costs do I need to consider?
To estimate your porcelain veneers cost, one should know that following an initial consultation, 2 or 3 visits to the dental clinic are usually required.
- Initial consultation – Here we’ll assess your smile and discuss the options available
- 1st appointment – This is to prepare your teeth and includes filing them down where necessary to accommodate the veneers, taking an impression in order to make a mould so your veneers can be made, and installing temporary veneers
- 2nd appointment – This involves fitting and trialing your veneers
- 3rd and final appointment – Your dentist will make any necessary adjustments to your porcelain veneers and cement them permanently into position.
Depending on where you get your veneers and which dentist is performing the treatment, a single veneer can cost anywhere from $750 to $2000.
Choosing your cosmetic dentist
The experience of your cosmetic dentist is crucial to obtaining natural, long-lasting results as well as estimate your porcelain veneers cost. While you’ll be asked about your preferences, it’s the input from your dentist that is critical to their final look. Their experience and expertise will affect the aesthetic options available to you while ensuring that your veneers add beauty and not just bulk to your teeth. Differences in skill levels can affect whether your smile looks awkward or stunning. The experience of your dentist is also critical in ensuring the dental ceramist achieves the right characterisation and colour for your veneers. While your porcelain veneers are created in a dental laboratory, the best person to oversee a seamless transition from the colour of your porcelain veneers to your natural teeth is your dentist.
How long do porcelain veneers last?
When cared for properly, professional veneers can last for 10 years or longer, making them a cost-effective treatment for a beautiful smile.
Your smile is your best asset and can open many doors both professionally and socially. You don’t have to spend a fortune restoring it when you choose to have porcelain veneers. They’re effective, functional, and extremely affordable – what better way to reward yourself with a million-dollar smile at a fraction of the cost!